Sunday, December 5, 2010

Broken Bed

The box spring of our bed is broken. Now, any normal human would try to replace it post haste. I have to admit that it is a bit annoying. We have to balance the box spring just so on the bed frame or it just, boom, collapses and nearly throws my husband off the bed. At which point he mumbles something under his breath and forces me off the bed so he can once again place the mattress in its precarious home.

So, why not replace it? It’s been broken for many months. Well, for one thing we don’t like this bed. It was a donation to us when we were young and newly married. The thought of sleeping each night with each other was still exciting and frankly, we enjoyed cuddling. We didn’t mind back then that this bed is a double wide. Now, over 7 years later, we are a little bit larger, a little bit older, a little bit grumpier and a little less forgiving of morning breath. We want our space. Sad? Maybe. The truth. Yes.

Second, in case you didn’t notice, we are parents. I’m pretty sure it is more fun to purchase Christmas presents for the rugrats than to have a safe, reliable bed structure. On top of diapers, wipes, clothing, food, blah, blah, blah there isn’t much money left for a beautiful bed. And I’m ok with that.

I guess I could fix it. I own a drill and am one kick butt mother on a mission. However, a quick jaunt to the hardware store with two bouncy baby chicklets doesn’t really tickle my fancy. I can see the Kraken deciding to test a hammer on his sister’s little noggin. Or Rosie may decide a screw would make a fantastic lunch. Frankly, I don’t have time for a hospital visit nor do I have time for drilling a rickety box spring. Now drilling for boogers, that I have time for.

So, for the time being, we will deal with it. And after a VERY long day at work, my hubby will flop down on the bed in sheer exhaustion only to be tossed off like a rodeo clown. At which time he will grumble and force me to get up so he can balance the bed just so once again. Then we will look at each other, laugh and cuddle in the middle because it is the safest bet. And the most pleasant too.

No comments:

Post a Comment