Monday, July 19, 2010

Wanna take a dip?

A relaxing day at the pool a short few years ago is NOT the same day now after two children. Here are a few reasons why. . .

I traded my small yet tasteful bikini for a durable, comfortable albeit slightly unflattering one piece whose biggest draw is its ability to keep my large milk producing breasts from flopping out and scaring innocent children whilst I sprint after a fleeing toddler. (I tested a number of bathing suits by attempting to mimic the motion of sprinting in the dressing room before I forked over any cash.)

I didn’t often purchase sunscreen because I was never able to use the whole thing up before it expired. This summer we are on our 5th bottle of SPF 60 spray (for little bodies) and 2nd bottle of SPF 60 lotion (for little faces).

My packing list went from coke, towel and a good book to multiple cokes, towels, bucket of sunscreen, swimmies, diapers, wipes, changes of clothes, stroller, pop up tent (in case there is no shade for B Rose), snacks, milk, water, cooler for said snacks and drinks, water wings, ball, teething toys, pacifier, sunglasses and sun hats. Whew, I’m tired and I haven’t even gotten to the pool yet.

A very even tan obtained by flipping over every 30 minutes has been replaced by bronze face, shoulders, neck, tops of arms and fronts of legs. The backs of my legs and undersides of my arms look to be stuck back with old man winter and are certainly craving a little face time with mister sunshine, but I just don’t have time for even baking, The Kraken wants to swim.

I could wear my trusty bikini year after year because sunbathing isn’t a contact sport. Its unflattering one piece successor will have to be replaced, possibly midsummer, because swimming with a toddler is a rough and tumble activity. Turns out sitting on the side or bottom of the pool, is not healthy for bathing suit material. I have so many snags on the bum region that sooner or later my behind is just going to come bouncing out. A horrible thought, I know.

I could go whole summers without that helpless sinking feeling coming just after an ambush splash that I had just lost a contact. Ever wonder what it’s like to be blind as a bat? I rediscover this joy every morning I wake and stumble to the bathroom for contacts. Each and every day at the pool with my kids has me panicking as I search for a contact in my eye. Thankfully I haven’t yet actually lost one. Maybe I should add extra contacts to my packing list. Oh, and that ambush splasher is now my son.

My pool and sunbathing life, I admit has totally changed, but watching the joy on that little guy’s face as he jumps with such bravery and trust into the water is way beyond worth all the sagging, dragging, snagging and mooning that comes along with it. I am after all a sap at heart.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome...you need to do one about the big big booger and driving the van to parks for 4 hours...I am waiting...see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sat in traffic for another hour today trying to get to another park. Good thing my kids are getting used to being dragged everywhere.

    ReplyDelete