Saturday, October 23, 2010

Thirty, Flirty and Thriving

I’m thirty and surprisingly calm about it. I remember calling myself 22 with four years experience then jumping to 26 because I became a momma, but I wasn’t ever confident about much of anything in my twenties. I think in my mind there is pressure to be cool in your twenties, and I am not cool. Never have been. Awkward, sure. Misunderstood, maybe. Cool, not so much. But now I have an excuse. I’m 30. And I’m cool with it.

When I was younger someone told me that your body starts to fall apart around 30. During the past year, this memory made me laugh. Here I was, in spitting distance to my 30th, and I was feeling great. Even after two babies and all the joyous body changes that come with that, I was feeling good. Apparently my body was giving me a stay of execution. Well, then I learned that I was allergic to toilet paper. TOILET PAPER! Not kidding. Not fun. Not kidding. So now, in addition to carrying diapers, wipes, extra clothing, baby food, snacks . . . for the kids, I also have to carry my own hypoallergenic, ridiculously lame toilet paper. Awesome. Thanks body.

Then there’s the volleyball beer league that I joined. (We play then go out for a beer afterward, though I don’t drink so maybe I should call it something else. Now taking suggestions.) I played Division I volleyball in college (not bragging by any means, just stating the facts). And during this time I was forced to jump on boxes, over hurdles, up the stadium stairs, up the arena stairs two at a time . . . but my downfall was an innocent hit at beer league that wrecked my knee. Something I could do in my sleep. I blame 30.

Other than the occasional body glitches, I’m pretty okay with 30. My husband let me sleep in so I awoke rested something that has rarely happened in the last decade and a half (again, not kidding). When I got out of bed I was greeted by the most adorable two and a half year old that God has ever created. He said “Appy Birfday momma” and gave me a big hug. Next, the most beautiful little 8 month old came crawling, commando style, laughing hysterically, just to see her momma. I am blessed and loved. I was given flowers, hugs and a home cooked meal from my husband. I am blessed and loved (and after 12 years as a couple, the fact he still likes me is saying something). It was a great day.

So, I may not be cool. I may be a little squishy around the edges, and I may be a little sappier than normal but that’s okay by me. I’m thirty and never been better.

2 comments:

  1. As far as I'm concerned you are "super cool" so don't forget it. Love your blogs keep it up. Mamaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are allergic to toilet paper? Wow. That's just....not fair in any way.

    ReplyDelete