Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summer Sucks (Ok, not really but kinda)

There are many things I love about summer. I could list them but who wants to read that? Borrrrrring. Instead here are the things I hate about summer. Enjoy.

Not everyone should wear a bikini. Must I go on? There are some body parts I really shouldn’t have to teach to my 3 year old son after a trip to the pool. I applaud your self-esteem ladies, I do, but please, pick up a tankini the next time you are out and about. The world would be ever so grateful.

Sunscreen. With two kids, it is hard to go anywhere. In the summer I have to add 15 minutes per child to our prep time, all for the application of sunscreen. Sticky, oooey, gooey, sunscreen. Boo. The Kraken is as cute as ever slathered in sunscreen. The Siren, poor little thing, turns into a grease ball. Her hair gets slimy and begins to collect dirt and random treasures. Picking her up is impossible. She just sorta slides right out of my arms. Not cute. Not safe.

My eczema kicks it up about 10 notches. Now right off, some of you may want to quote statistics about how hot and humid weather makes life easier on the eczema sufferer. Blah. Blah. Blah. Maybe for most people, but I am special. Hip hip hooray. By the end of August I am one red, puffy, scabby beast, which makes me really attractive in my tankini.

I sleep horribly most of the time. Somehow it gets worse in the heat. It’s hard to explain, but I think my already larger than most personal space bubble enlarges when I am hot or sweaty. This may be the main reason we didn’t co-sleep with either of our children. Stay out of my bubble or you will pay. Ask my husband, the man who has invaded my space since the day I met him and lived to tell about it, he knows.

Fireworks. Hate them. When I was much younger we attended a Fourth of July celebration that started well enough but ended in a huge ball of flames. Everyone was running and I was worried I was going to be lost in the crowd. I’ve never liked 4th of July festivities since. I did get a great piece of advice that evening, once safe and sound back at my aunt and uncle’s house. A news anchor was giving tips to have a safe 4th of July. Among the normal things like wear sunscreen and pack bug spray, he suggested everyone carry a bucket of water. I guess that would have been helpful with the flaming ball of death coming my way. Would have helped a lot.

Okay. Those are my major beefs with summer. Not many. I hope you all have plenty of fun in the sun and stay safe on vacations. All I ask is not to shoot a firework in my general direction and don’t let your boob pop out at the pool. Not too much to ask I don’t think.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the sunscreen for yourself again!!

    Have you tried putting an ac unit in your bedroom or getting one of those portable units? I read that optimal sleeping conditions are 68 degrees. Maybe you are too hot to sleep.

    ReplyDelete