Thursday, January 27, 2011

Don't look now, but I may have made some friends.

I’ve been avoiding this blog. I’m not sure why, well actually I do know why. Whatever. Here we go.

People terrify me. To the point of ridiculous amounts of sweat, intestinal distress, headaches, a poorly timed gag reflux and a barrier between the intelligent things I want to say and the senseless crap that comes out of my mouth. Generally, for the good of all mankind, I am medicated. However, the drugs that keep this loon under wraps are not good for pregnancy or a breast feeding mother, and thus I abstain.

So, when I signed up for a mom’s weekend away, I did so in a moment of pure insanity. I admit I never really thought I would actually go. I fully intended on flaking out. But my husband is really mean and supportive and forced me to live up to my word. What a jerk.

One of the ladies suggested that we carpool with someone. I prayed that no one would want to leave late so I could travel solo, but alas another mom had to work and graciously offered to pick me up on her way to the cabin. I had never met my chauffeur so when an unfamiliar SUV drove by my apartment, I waved, the driver waved back and I got in the car. I suppose I could have been murdered that evening since I was a bit more concerned about getting into the car without vomiting then I was to actually look at my new friend. Good thing Jesus loves me. I don’t remember much of the 2.5 hour car ride, which is a good sign. I must not have said anything too stupid because our conversation felt easy and natural. I do know that I sweat right through my shirt, and I am thankful I took some Pepto before leaving because there weren’t many places for emergency explosions.

Once at the cabin, I attempted my best to just blend in. For crying out loud, I certainly have some things in common with these girls. Right? Alcohol and I however do not blend well. I seem to do and say really silly things under the influence of half a glass of wine. On a mom’s weekend out though, it is really hard to ‘be one of the girls’ and not partake. So I had a glass of chocolate wine while playing a rowdy game of Pictionary. Anyone else with social anxiety is barfing at the thought of Pictionary with strangers, and I think if everyone had stopped talking for just a few seconds the entire table would have heard my heart beating. I sweat through yet another shirt, but I think night number 1 was a success.

The next day and afternoon, other than being a bit silly due to lack of sleep, was going fine. I was determined to keep a good attitude and try to make some friends. But then my first friend, formerly known as my chauffeur pulled out a game called Quelf. In my opinion this game should be called ‘How to cause panic and terrify anxiety ridden people.’ Case in point, the first card I drew required me to snort every time I laughed, FOR THE REST OF THE GAME. My husband would be proud because I got through it and even had fun. Thank goodness I only had to leave my chair once for a terribly embarrassing action card. Otherwise I may not have made it.

But I made it. I had fun. Actually, I had a great time. No medication required. So, thanks to Sara, Jen, Fawn, Rae, Stephanie and Mandy, for disregarding the sweat stains and awkward moments and accepting me as I come. Or maybe for at least talking about me behind my back!

5 comments:

  1. Yea!!!! A blog about us! We love you and it was great getting to know you better! You were the tame one out of us all!!!!! Although you were the best sport at Quelf and will forever hold the title as best player of the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara - I think this is awesome. If it helps, I never picked up that you were THAT anxious when we hung out. You must hide it better than you think:-)

    Ben has a little social anxiety too and there is NO way he would agree to a weekend away with a bunch of strangers!

    I think you are incredibly brave and I hope you have a great time with your new friends. Before you move. :-( But, hey, I bet they will be happy to help you practice so you can make new friends in your new home too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara, I loved this post! And here I thought I was the only one that always feels awkward and socially-inept at social events. You made me feel like I'm actually... well... NORMAL... so thank you! :)
    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured Quelf would terrify you... but I had a sneaking suspicion you'd do just fine with it :) And you did!
    I'm so glad we got to ride together and I truly hope that we get to spend some more quality time together :) I thoroughly enjoyed our time together! There's no one else I would have rather shared a bed with ;) lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm...yeah, that's why I kind of backed out when I said I might be interested. I really was, but I made up the excuse of not being able to make it. I chicken out of just about everything. I seriously get 90% to a destination and all the sudden want to turn around and go home. Even when I go to my parents house.

    ReplyDelete