Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What's for Dinner?

The key to my husband’s heart is food. (Um, yeah right. The real key as everyone knows is sex, but my parents read my blog and well, gross. I’m sticking with food.) After a long day at work all my husband wants is a nice home cooked meal. Not in a keep the women in the kitchen sort of way, but a haven’t had a chance to eat anything since 5am kind of way. They say opposites attract and in this instance it’s true; I have a different restaurant craving for each and every emotion that a woman can stir up in a 24 hour period. So, let’s just say I’m not the best Betty Crocker impersonator. Well, I love my husband and this year at work so far has been rough, to say the least. So, I am working on perking up my eternal optimist through food.

After over 7 years of marriage, the same old recipes from my head have become stale and lame. I figured he would have some favorite recipes from growing up that maybe I could try. It became apparent quite quickly we grew up in two different worlds. His favorites growing up included: Veal Parmesan, Prime Rib, Pork Chops, Corned Beef, Roast Beef . . . Are we sensing a pattern here? My mother, God bless her, had a slightly smaller budget and thus cooked a lot of casseroles. So, I’ve never met a casserole I didn’t like and my husband never met a casserole, period.

Marriage is about give and take, and I’m giving up my addiction to eating out. So, each Sunday I sit down and sift through all my cookbooks looking for new things to try and old favorites to recreate. I’ve even on occasion slapped a big old hunk a meat on a plate and called in dinner. I think I may be speaking my husband’s love language because he is turning back into his normal happy self despite working ridiculous hours. There may be hope for my ‘domestic goddess of the year’ bid after all. Watch you back Betty Crocker!

No comments:

Post a Comment